(From left to right) Perri Lucas, Laila Wallace, and Hadlee Ackerman | Photo by Seton Hall Athletics | The Setonian

Women's Volleyball fall to DePaul, 3-1

The Seton Hall Pirates lose 3-1 to the DePaul Blue Demons despite a valiant comeback attempt on Sunday.

The Pirates were looking to bounce back after a brutal five-set loss to Xavier on Oct. 11. The Blue Demons were looking to extend their win streak to three after wins against St. John’s and Georgetown.

The first set saw back and forth action, with neither team taking control of the match until the ending stages.  DePaul stormed back after a much needed timeout down 18-15 and only allowed two more points, taking the set by a score of 25-20.

The second set saw DePaul taking control and keeping the Hall from getting too much momentum. The Pirates had more errors than kills during the set and had a -.024 hit percentage. The Blue Demons took the second set 25-15.

A switch was seemingly flipped in between the second and third sets, as the Hall came out much more efficient, boasting a .459 kill percentage on 37 total attempts. The Pirates never relinquished the lead after going up 6-5 early in the set and taking the third by a score of 25-18.

After a strong start in the fourth, Seton Hall seemed ready to force a fifth round. However, DePaul wasn’t backing down.. The Blue Demons repeatedly stomped out that possibility every time the Hall tried getting some momentum in the set.

DePaul’s Jill Pressly showed why she’s been a unanimous All-Big East selection the past two seasons, totalling a game high 26 kills to go with 16 digs. Graduate student Audrey Klemp was the other Blue Demon to total double figure kills, with 14 kills to her name.

For the Pirates, sophomore Senna Roberts-Navarro and graduate student Laila Wallace led the way with nine kills, followed by seven each from senior Reagan Merk and graduate student Perri Lucas.

The Pirates will look to nip their three-game skid in the bud as they face the Georgetown Hoyas on Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 5 p.m. in Walsh Gymnasium. 

John Misiewicz writes for The Setonian’s Sports section. He can be reached at john.misiewicz@student.shu.edu.