Peter King | Photo by Seton Hall University: Center for Sports Media

“What can you do to stand out?”: Peter King hosts masterclass at Seton Hall

In the first of three Center for Sports Media masterclasses, longtime NFL writer, Peter King, shared what he’d learned through his 44 years of experience. The session on Sept. 18 gave sports media students the opportunity to listen to King and pick his brain for advice.

King, who is currently the Center of Sports Media's professional-in-residence, shared how he started from the bottom when he took a job with the Athens Messenger where he covered minor high school sports in “the middle of nowhere.” He often drove 60 miles to cover games, yet he never complained or felt bad for himself. Instead of focusing on moving up the ladder or working for a major company, King simply kept the mentality of: “How can I best cover the game today?”

Although the modern sports media landscape is vastly different from what it was when he graduated from Ohio University, King emphasized how a strong work ethic will still translate today. He explained how sports media is hyper-competitive and that you must go above and beyond to be successful.

“What can you do to stand out?” King said. “You have to work to get to know people. You have to work to stand out."

King shared an anecdote from his experience covering a team led by legendary former coach Bill Parcells. King wanted to do a good job on the beat, so he asked Parcells for permission to ask a few questions every once in a while. Parcells sarcastically told King to meet him at his parking spot at 5:30 a.m., expecting King to never follow through with the over-the-top request.

Sure enough, King showed up at 5:15 a.m. at Parcells parking spot, which stunned the head coach. Parcells still followed through with the deal, and King was invited up to the office to ask his questions. This grittiness is what King wants to see from the current generation of journalists; he shared the story to give them an example of the lengths they must go to, to pass the competition.

With the ever-changing nature of media, King discussed the importance of different ways to report news.

“Try new things,” King said. “You have no idea in 2029 how people are going to consume their sports news.”

With the arrival of the internet, King was hesitant to start using the new technology for his work. He didn’t want to be doing any more work than he already was, but he decided to do it anyway and it paid off big time. His experience adapting to the internet is why he believes it’s so important to find new ways of producing content, especially in the modern sports media landscape.

King also spoke about the importance of developing relationships, and he emphasized that you should never take your foot off the gas when it comes to networking with your peers. He suggested that each person in the room talk to as many colleagues as possible. 

At the beginning of each NFL season, King would make an effort to get new phone numbers and emails. He considered it a failure if he didn’t introduce himself and get the contact information of at least two people. Holding himself to this standard benefited his career, as it led to getting in contact with high-level athletes, coaches, and executives.

King’s lessons all embody the same principle: hard work will pay off. King announced his retirement in February 2024 and now enjoys educating the young, hungry journalism upstarts that he once was.

King will host his second masterclass, “How to Become a Multi-Dimensional Content Producer,” on Tuesday, Oct. 8 at 10:30 a.m. and his third masterclass, "How to Get a Job in Media," on Dec. 4 at 2 p.m.

Matthew Soetebeer is the head editor for the Setonian’s Sports section. He can be reached at matthew.soetebeer@student.shu.edu.